God made me a thinker. God made me a planner. God also gave me a lot of excitement and anticipation. This is good: it keeps me bubbly and joyful, but it also means that by my own power, I allow myself to get caught up in my thoughts and my plans. When things (surprisingly enough?) don't go as I (of course) envisioned that they would, I get even more caught up in them: tripping over my own feelings as though they're a rug that's not laying flat. All I can then concentrate on is the bump in the rug and the problem it's caused me. I'll be frustrated that MY plan didn't go how I wanted and expected them to.
I think this is true for everyone to some extent, but it has definitely ALWAYS been an issue for me. Sure, I "know" that God wants me to just let Him take control, but sometimes, I think that I just say my plans are like... "in God's name" or something, and I think that if I pray for something REALLY hard, then I'll get it. I expect it to work like a secret formula, so that what I anticipate is going to happen, does.
But God isn't a secret formula, there isn't a hocus-pocus type of spell in prayer which will make us succeed in everything we do. Praying doesn't necessarily give us what we ask for, and using prayer as a selfish tool only makes us lose sight of the true value and importance of it.
It's true that God does call us to come to Him with our everything, (He also instructed us to come to him with our needs in thanksgiving. I think that's a really awesome reminder of the perspective we're supposed to have on this world.) but there are a lot of things which we, or I, feel entitled to merely because it is the "social norm", or because I want it.
No one has the PERFECT relationship with God; we will ALWAYS have our struggles against Him. I don't want to always be stubborn when it comes to relinquishing what I imagine to be my own control over situations to Him, but this could possibly be something I do have to be wary of for the rest of my life. Still, no matter how much I may fight and struggle against Him, He will always prevail. God is bigger than any box I could ever try and put Him in.
A thought that has been coming up often lately, is that whenever God says "no" to something I ask for, it's because He's saying "No, I have something even better than that."
SO: if I happen to be in your prayers, please pray that I be given more patience.
In the end... God ALWAYS has something better.
No comments:
Post a Comment