Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Red Jeep.

Texas weather is probably on list of Top 10 Things You're Least Likely to Predict. One week you'll be saying "how is it THIS hot in January?!" and the next week you'll literally get 3 days off of school for a snow day. The week after that, it will feel like May, with sunshine, green grass, and a nice cool breeze, and of course the following week will consist mostly of dark clouds and thunderstorm warnings.
What this weather helps a lot with, is making old cars rather cranky. You have to be nice to your old cars, treat them with respect. Cars age much faster than people, although probably slower than dogs. (There isn't a lot of respect to be had for a car that conks out after 14 years, but you'll hear people comment on how old a dog was if it happens to pass away at the tender old age of 14). No, the first year of a car's life is probably worth about 5 human years, and each year after that is probably like... 4 years. This would put my quirky little old jeep at the ripe age of 69. (Let's not forget, my formula for car age is completely made up and highly estimated.) 
A fact that I DO happen to know and do not need to make up, is the fact that people over the age of 60 do all they can to NOT, I repeat, NOT go out in harsh weather. They complain and whine if they end up being forced to, actually. 9 times out of 10, though, you will not see an older woman at the grocery store if there's snow falling outside.
Well my car is the same way. Or, at least, it used to be. With the winter storm weather that passed through Brownwood about a month and a half ago, my car decided to say goodbye. There were cracked whats-its and tangled whose-its and obviously the whackitackity was off center.... Okay, so I still really have no clue what was wrong with my car, but long story short: it wouldn't work and we had to get to towed and fixed and such.
Now, normally when your car gets fixed, it stays fixed for longer than a week. This did not seem to be the case, though. Within a week of getting my car back, it decided to only start every once in awhile. If I let my car sit even a day without driving it, the chances of my car starting were slim to none. Every once in awhile it would suddenly start and I would be able to drive it around all over again, but even these drives felt somewhat life threatening due to my car violently shaking as it would pop in to gear. So two weeks after I got my car back, I felt like my car was dying again (and this time, I couldn't even blame it on the weather!). We got Firestone to come pick it up, and in a few days they were able to get it to start. No car part replacements necessary, my car was fixed.
The problem? Bad gas. Whether we had actually filled my car with bad gas, or the gas was just already old, I'll never know. But the gas inside of my tank was old and basically rotten... spoiled... like milk.

I'm sure there's some awesome analytical spiritual parallel that can come from this, but I'm not a theologian, or a preacher. What I do know, is that this did still teach me a lesson:
For as long as I have been alive, I've been riding in cars. It's second nature to get in a car and expect it to move: that's why we have them, to get to the places we need to go. But even my car, something that doesn't have emotions or thoughts and opinions, has failed me and let me down. God on the other hand, DOESN'T. ever.
Why is it so easy to get in a car and expect it to move, and yet still struggle with God having total control of your life?
It was a rather inconvenient, but necessary thing to be reminded that God is the only One who you can ever really deservedly place complete trust in.

...and not only did He let me have my car back, but it didn't cost me anything either. That was above my expectations. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment